East Midland Zoological Society has been running Twycross Zoo for almost 60 years in the heart of England. Twycross Zoo is an award-winning conservation and science-led zoo. We are rapidly growing and welcoming over 600,000 people every year to our 100-acre rural site near Atherstone.
The Role – Registrar
Reporting to the Veterinary Service Manager, as the Registrar you will support the Life Sciences management team by;
- Keeping animal records up to date using Species 360 - ZIMS software
- Arranging animal transfers to ensure successful imports and exports
- Maintaining files of documents related to animal transfers
- Auditing and ensuring upkeeping of all animal transport crates on site
- Supporting the Veterinary team in the management of in-house samples and the import / export of samples
- Overseeing the deployment and management of ZIMS across all departments of the zoo including training new members of staff
- Serving as liaison with APHA, DEFRA and other government agencies to ensure that all national and international regulations related to the movement of animals are adhered to
- Serving as liaison with Species 360, suggesting improvements and informing the Life Sciences team of any new developments
- Assisting with the production of regular management reports
- Assisting with the completion of EEP surveys and questionnaires in a timely manner
- Liaising with Registrars at other zoos to promote best practice
- Willing to be trained as first aider and to be on call as part of the zoo’s first aid duty rota
- Salary in the region of £24,000
- 31 days annual leave
- Permanent contract, with start date in January 2023
- Uniform if required
- Staff membership card giving you free entry to the Zoo on your days off
- Complimentary Twycross Zoo ticket allowance for friends and family
- 25% discount in the Twycross Zoo gift shop
- 10% discount in Twycross Zoo food and beverage outlets
- Free onsite parking
- Star of the month award scheme
- Access to work counselling services
You will work 40 hours per week Monday to Friday, from 8am to 5pm, however flexibility is needed to cover the needs of animal transfers.
Our Requirements - Registrar
- Previous experience as a Registrar in a zoo environment, demonstrating knowledge and ability to successfully arrange and carry out international and national zoo animal transfers
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and ZIMS
- Excellent organisation and administrative skills
- Ability to understand and explain complex legislation
- Ability to work as part of a team and on your own initiative
- A passion for Twycross Zoo’s work and purpose
Although not essential experience using Medical ZIMS and a degree in a science / animal related subject is desirable.
More about us
We’re at the forefront of conservation, education and research, and have a strong commitment to our award-winning education programme which aims to increase the level of awareness, knowledge and understanding about the animals and their plight in the wild.
All applications for this Registrar vacancy are to be submitted online, and strictly no agency calls or agency CV submissions.